Seraphina Rose - A Birth Story

26 Sep 2017









 We welcomed our Seraphina Rose into the world on Friday the 1st of September 2017 at 1:12 am. She weighed in at a petite 6 pound 2 ounces (2.796 kg) and measured in at 45cm long.

I wasn't sure whether or not to share Seraphina's birth story. After getting so many DM's on Instagram I realised that you had all joined me on my pregnancy journey, it was only right that you get to come along for the birth as well.

Throughout my pregnancy I had extremely high hypertension and fluid retention (hello 21kg weight gain!) I also developed Pre Eclampsia. Because of all these issues, 

my obstetrician decided it would be best for me to be induced at 37 weeks pregnant. Three weeks before my due date! 


I was terrified at the idea of being induced, I had only ever heard horror stories. No one ever enjoys being induced. I was also upset that my very particular birth plan was pretty much out the window now. I was still going to try and labour as naturally as I could without pain relief.

I was induced Wednesday the 30th of August at 9:30 at night with the balloon catheter method. Very painful and uncomfortable procedure! I started having contractions at around 1am. The next day the midwives checked me over and I was 3cm dilated so the balloon catheter was taken out and my waters were broken. Another really uncomfortable procedure! Once they had broke my waters, I was hooked up to a drip to speed up my contractions. For the next 6 hours I laboured naturally without any pain relief. I tried the gas but it was too much for me and I didn't like the feeling of having no control so i asked them to turn it down. 

After 6 hours of labouring, I was in the most excruciating pain and I wasn't getting any break from the contractions, they were coming hard and fast with no break in between. The midwives and obstetrician were trying to convince me to get the epidural but I was adamant I wouldn't take pain relief.  I was then checked over and had only dilated another 1 and a half cm. I was absolutely devastated that after all my hard work I was only 4 and a half cm dilated!

At this point I begged for the epidural, the one thing I thought I would NEVER do. Honestly that Anaesthetist could not get to my room quick enough for my liking. I was an absolute mess by the time he turned up to administer the epidural. There were no breaks with my contractions so I had to have the epidural administered mid contraction, for this I had to stay completely still. Sean was in major shock when I didn't even flinch at the epidural needle, but at that point my phobia of needles wasn't even a thought in my mind. 

For the next 4 hours I laboured with the epidural, honestly I wish I got it from the get go when it was offered to me at the very start of my induction process. I was much more relaxed and was fully dilated when they checked again! The epidural was then turned down as it was time to push! Every time I tried to push her down her head would come down and then spring back up again. At this point I had been pushing for two hours! I was EXHAUSTED!! The baby then went into distress and a whole team of people were suddenly in the room. They said I was going to need an emergency Caserean if I couldn't push this baby out in the next ten minutes, I refused so they tried the vacuum on her head as I pushed her out, this seemed to do the trick and she flew out. It turned out that she had the cord wrapped around her neck and thats why she was springing back up. She was put on my stomach while they untangled her and then rushed over to the table where the paediatricians worked on her. 

She was then brought over to me and placed on my chest for skin to skin. As she came out so fast I tore and needed stitches so whilst I was being stitched up I held my baby girl and we had our first breast feed. I couldn't believe all the hair she had! I was actually on medication for the severe heart burn I had, so if you believe in old wives tales they say that if you have heart burn your baby will come out with hair. It was right for me!

I opted to keep my placenta and have it encapsulated so I could take it in a tablet form. The health benefits of eating your placenta are enormous and I truely believe that because I am having my placenta tablets every day I have recovered so much quicker and have had no problem with breast feeding or my milk supply! I really recommend having your placenta turned into tablets!


My whole labour from the moment my waters broke was 13 hours, my labour experience was nothing like I thought it would be. But at the end of the day its all worth it. The moment I saw Seraphina was the happiest moment of my life and I still pinch myself every day that I get to be her mama. She is the most easy going, happy baby. I miss her when she's asleep and I just can't get enough of her sweet newborn scent. 

Seraphina is now 3 and half weeks old and time is just flying past. She had a rocky start to the first few weeks of her life as she had severe jaundice and had to be under light treatment at the hospital. She had to have blood tests every morning which was just un bearable to watch. But now we are home and she's perfectly healthy which is all I can ask for! 


I can't wait to one day give Seraphina a sibling but I can honestly say, I will never get induced again and I will definitely be open to the idea of an epidural, although I will try and do it naturally again next time. 

I'm sorry this post was so long, I really hope I haven't scared any first time mums about to give birth. Just remember, no matter how you labour at the end of the day as long as you and your precious baby are healthy, thats all that matters! 


Love and light,





Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload